“Unum has a long and proud history of making a difference in people’s lives, from our customers to our employees — and just as importantly, to the communities where we live and work,” said Rick McKenney, Unum’s president and chief executive officer. “Giving back is at the core of who we are.”
Unum supports public education programs that help students gain access to opportunities and educators engage students in innovative and creative approaches to learning. Other areas of community support include health and wellness, and arts and culture.
For many years, Unum has supported the creation of business-education programs in its home office locations, which include:
• Hamilton County Schools Future Ready Institutes in Chattanooga, Tennessee
• Jobs for Maine’s Graduates in Portland, Maine
• South High Community School partnership in Worcester, Massachusetts
• Boys and Girls Club of the Midlands in Columbia, South Carolina
• La Salle Elementary partnership in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Based on standard volunteer formulas, the 67,000 hours logged by Unum employees is valued at roughly $1.6 million. Additionally, more than 350 Unum employees lend their leadership expertise as board members for various charitable organizations.
Unum provides financial protection benefits in the workplace such as disability, life, accident and critical illness insurance.