Our focus areas
We’re committed to providing equitable opportunities for socioeconomically disadvantaged students to thrive. We do this by funding programs that:
- Encourage social-emotional health
- Provide career and post-secondary preparation
- Remove barriers to post-secondary success
We strive to support those who are disproportionately at risk to adverse health outcomes by funding innovative and action-oriented health and wellbeing programs. We're taking a concentrated interest in mental and behavioral health. In this area we aim to:
- Strengthen the capacity of health and other related systems to respond to and care for individuals
- Decrease stigma, discrimination and social isolation by transforming the way we think and talk about mental health
- Support youth with early intervention resources
In addition to the above mental health focus, our grant funding will also support:
- Increased equity in health
- Access to essential health services
Unum Social Justice Fund
Creating stronger, more equitable communities by supporting organizations working to end racism, discrimination and bias with a focus on these four categories:
- Systemic and policy change
- Support action-oriented programs that champion solutions that work to permanently reverse or eradicate discriminatory or bias-led systems and policies.
- Provide training aimed to help individuals and organizations understand racial and social injustice, build empathy toward traditionally marginalized groups and communities, and create more equitable organizations and systems.
- Economic justice
- Work with marginalized communities to promote financial inclusion and prevent exploitation due to economic status.
- Civic engagement
- Engage in programs that provide a voice to marginalized individuals or groups so that they may address issues or concerns regarding their community.
Social Justice Fund grants range from $2,500 to $10,000.
We're committed to supporting Unum communities and our employees when disaster strikes. This includes funding for programs and services that focus on:
- Disaster preparedness
- Disaster response