Leadership, community involvement, and employee perks contribute to honor
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (Nov. 28, 2018) — Employee benefits provider Unum (NYSE: UNM) has another reason to be thankful this holiday season. The company has been named a great workplace by the Great Place to Work Institute, an independent authority on high-performance work cultures. The certification is based on extensive ratings provided by Unum employees in anonymous surveys. A summary of these ratings can be found here.
“This feedback from employees on Unum’s workplace culture is the most valuable validation we can receive of what it’s like to work here,” said Liz Ahmed, executive vice president, people and communications at Unum. “Creating an inclusive, supportive workplace where every employee can grow and contribute to our success directly correlates to the customer-first mindset we embrace at Unum.”
Employees rate the quality of the company’s challenges, atmosphere, rewards, pride, communication and bosses via an anonymous survey. At least 90 percent of employees said they have positive experiences in each of those areas.
A few perks and benefits Unum offers that help to attract, retain and support talent include:
- A $100 million workplace renovation across U.S. campuses, bringing a more modern and open office environment, helping to foster greater productivity and collaboration.
- A paid parental leave policy that provides new parents six weeks of paid time off following the birth, adoption, or foster placement of a child.
- Employee resource groups that promote diversity and inclusion across the company in areas including LGBTQIA, Veterans, Ability, Race and Ethnicity, and Women In Leadership.
- A strong commitment to local communities that involves employees through company-sponsored events, time off to volunteer and a generous matching donation policy of up to $10,000 per employee, per year.
- Robust employee wellbeing services including diet and nutrition support, updated fitness facilities, rebates on fitness center memberships, health resource centers, free flu shots, Work-Life Balance employee assistance program and financial planning resources.
- A generous time off policy with all full-time employees receiving 28 days of paid time off, holidays and personal days their first year.
# # #
About Great Place to Work®
Great Place to Work® is the global authority on high-trust, high-performance workplace cultures. Through proprietary assessment tools, advisory services, and certification programs, including Best Workplaces lists and workplace reviews, Great Place to Work® provides the benchmarks, framework, and expertise needed to create, sustain, and recognize outstanding workplace cultures. In the United States, Great Place to Work® produces the annual Fortune "100 Best Companies to Work For®" list and a series of Great Place to Work® Best Workplaces lists including lists for Millennials, Women, Diversity, Small and Medium Companies and over a half dozen different industry lists.