Unum Ireland applicant privacy notice
1. PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF NOTICE
As part of our recruitment process Unum Ireland Limited (“Unum”) (the "Company", "we" "us" “our”) collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants.
This notice (“Notice”) is intended to explain how your Personal Data will be handled by the Company and sets out the information including the personal information detailed below relating to you ("Personal Data") that will be collected and processed by the Company and/or on its behalf by its third party service providers in the context of your employment. Unum Ireland Limited is a subsidiary of Unum Group, which also may receive and process Personal Data about you as explained below.
For the purposes of this notice, the controller of your Personal Data is Unum Ireland Limited.
2. PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process some or all the following Personal Data about you as part of our recruitment process:
- Name (including title)
- Contact details and address
- Eligibility to work in Ireland
- Education history
- Employment history
- Professional qualifications
- Referee contact details
We may receive Personal Data about you from third party sources, including information shared with us by:
- A recruitment agency
- Job sites where we searched for potential candidates for your role
- Referrals from employees
- Your referees
3. WHY WE PROCESS YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We need to process your data to assess your suitability for employment with us and prior to entering into a contract of employment with you. The following outlines the legal grounds and further explains for what purposes we may process your Personal Data:
Legal Basis: In some cases, we have a legal obligation to process your data; for example, it is mandatory to ensure all employees of the company are eligible to work in the Republic of Ireland.
Legitimate Interest: Unum has a legitimate interest in processing personal data during the recruitment process, enabling us to assess and confirm a candidate’s suitability for employment and job offer. We may also need to process data from job applicants to investigate, establish exercise or defend a legal claim; and to assist the courts in acting in their judicial capacity.
4. HOW WE STORE AND SAFEGUARD YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We care about protecting your information. That's why we put in place appropriate measures that are designed to prevent unauthorised access to, and misuse of, your Personal Data.
We are committed to taking reasonable and appropriate steps to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access. We do this by having in place a range of appropriate technical and organisational measures.
5. TRANSFER OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may transfer your Personal Data outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") to other members of the Company and other Recipients. Certain Recipients who process your Personal Data on our behalf may also transfer your Personal Data outside the EEA. In either case, these transfers may be to a country that does not offer the same level of protection that is required by EU data protection law. Where such transfers occur, it is our policy that: a) they do not occur without our prior written authority; and b) that an appropriate transfer agreement is put in place to protect your Personal Data.
Where we transfer data to Unum Group, we do so on the basis of Standard Contractual Clauses which are a form of data processing contract approved by the European Commission. You can find a copy of these clauses here. If you would like to find out more about any such transfers, please contact our Data Protection Manager whose details are set out in Section 8 of this notice.
6. RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA BY UNUM
If your application for employment is unsuccessful, we will hold your information on file, subject to your consent, for two years. At the end of the two-year period your data will be purged.
If your application for employment is successful, Personal Data gathered during the recruitment process will be transferred to your Human Resources file (electronic and paper based) and retained during your employment.
7. YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR PERSONAL DATA AND HOW TO EXERCISE THEM
Right of Access
- You have the right to request a copy of the Personal Data held by us about you and to access the following information in relation to the processing of your Personal Data:
- the purposes of processing;
- the categories of Personal Data concerned;
- the recipients of your Personal Data;
- the period for which your Personal Data will be stored;
- the existence of your right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner; and
- the source of your Personal Data.
- Where you exercise your right of access, we may request proof of identity to ensure we are dealing with the correct person where we consider it necessary to do so.
- We will only charge you for making such an access request where we feel your request is unjustified or excessive.
Right to Rectification
- You have the right to request that we amend any inaccurate Personal Data that we have about you.
Right to Erasure
- You have the right to ask us to erase your Personal Data where it is no longer necessary for processing
Right to Restriction of Processing
- You have the right to ask us to restrict processing your Personal Data in the following situations:
- where you contest the accuracy of your Personal Data;
- where the processing is unlawful, and you do not want us to delete your Personal Data;
- where we no longer need your Personal Data for the purposes of processing, but you require the data in relation to a legal claim; or
- where you have objected to us processing your Personal Data pending verification as to whether our legitimate interests override your interests or in connection with legal proceedings.
- When you exercise this right, we may only store your Personal Data and may not further process the data unless you consent, or the processing is necessary in relation to a legal claim or to protect the rights of another person or legal person or for reasons of important public interest.
Right to Object
- You have a right to object at any time to the processing of your Personal Data where we process your Personal Data on the legal basis of pursuing our legitimate interests.
8. QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS NOTICE
If you have any concerns about the way your Personal Data are being used or processed by the Company or you are not satisfied, please contact our Data Protection Manager in writing, to Data Protection Manager, Unum Ireland Ltd., 3rd Floor Shamrock Plaza, Merchant House, Tullow St. Carlow. Ireland.
If after this, you are not satisfied by the effort and response by the Company, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner (the DPC). Please see www.dataprotection.ie for further information.