Family, bonding, medical, and military exigency.
Massachusetts PFML provides job protection for 26 weeks in a benefit year.
Other protections and provisions
A benefit waiting period must be met before Paid Medical or Paid Family benefits become available with the exception of bonding followed by pregnancy disability.
Maximum annual leave duration:
- Family Leave — 12 weeks
- Medical Leave — 20 weeks
- Military Caregiver Leave — 26 weeks
- Combined all paid leaves per benefit year — 26 weeks
Pay during leave:
*Based on current MA SAWW as of 10/2020
- Employees earning equal to or less than 50% of the state average weekly wage receive 80% of their wages. Employees earning more than 50% of the state average weekly wage earn an additional 50% of their wages above that amount.
- 2021 Maximum weekly benefit: $850*
- 2022 Maximum weekly benefit: $1085