Your insurance broker or benefit consultant can offer you important advice and guidance as you select the policy and provider most appropriate for your needs. At Unum, we recognize the vital role these professionals play in the sale of our products and services and offer them a variety of compensation programs. Your broker can provide you with information about these programs as well as those available from other providers. We support disclosure of broker compensation so that customers can make an informed buying decision.
Unum offers a variety of compensation programs for brokers. The criterion for each program varies by product. You may view information on the compensation programs by viewing the most recent version of the
broker compensation program brochure
. Your broker or benefit consultant can provide you with information regarding the programs in which he or she participates that may generate additional compensation.
Our compensation and disclosure policy includes the following:
- Customers must notify Unum, in writing, of changes to the broker of record on their policy(ies).
- Unless directed otherwise by the customer, all insurance policies on which Unum pays base commissions are also eligible for consideration under other compensation programs.
- For those group insurance policies where no base commissions are payable, inclusion in other compensation programs is only allowed with customer consent. A customer's decision in this regard will not impact the premium rate charged for the policy.
- For group products, Unum requires written acknowledgement from the customer regarding disclosure of broker compensation before any commissions will be paid to the broker for that policy.
- Group customers will receive a broker compensation disclosure statement with their policy documents, and annually thereafter.
If you have questions regarding compensation programs related to your insurance program, please ask your broker. Should you have other questions not addressed by this website or if you want to speak to us directly about broker compensation, please contact us at: 800-633-7491.
Unum participates in joint marketing activities for their group insurance products with various organizations. These organizations are not legally affiliated with Unum and they promote the sale of Unum products in addition to those of other insurance companies. If you have questions about any of Unum's marketing activities, please contact us at: 800-633-7491 (option 3).
Provident Agency, Inc. (PAI) operates under a third party administrator agreement with Unum for the sale and servicing of Unum's group life, group special risk AD&D and group blanket accident products that are marketed in the Emergency Responder marketplace.
Brokers appointed to represent Unum in New York State may partner with a broker general agent (BGA). Both your broker and the BGA may be compensated for their services.