Wonder what types of jobs there are at an insurance company? We've hit some of the high points below.
Actuarial and finance
Actuarial and finance employees manage the pricing and reserve support for our businesses. We have a robust development program that provides a rich learning environment for all levels.
- Experienced professionals: opportunities to deepen their knowledge and experience; rotate through different roles and attend training and leadership conferences.
- Just starting out: recent graduates gain exposure to pricing, experience analysis, financial reporting and reserving assumptions for all products; robust development program and progressive career track; educational backgrounds include degrees in economics, math, actuarial science and statistics.
Benefit operations and services
The Benefits Center manages our claims handling and many customer service responsibilities. Roles in this area require excellent service skills and daily interaction with claimants, employers, health care providers and specialized resources.
- Experienced professionals: opportunities include experienced claims specialists, quality assurance, appeals positions, and management; responsible for making claims determinations and overseeing process.
- Just starting out: disability benefits specialist trainees complete 10-week training program; educational backgrounds include all disciplines with an emphasis on business.
Working closely with our claims professionals, clinical staff professionals provide medical expertise on complex claims and evaluate treatment plans for accuracy.
- Experienced professionals: openings include RN clinical consultants, vocational rehabilitation consultants and medical consultants (doctors).
Client service employees work directly with clients and brokers, from introduction of our products and point of sale through case implementation and the ongoing service of the account. Positions are located in both primary operating centers and field offices.
- Experienced professionals: opportunities include management, account consultant and customer service specialist roles.
- Just starting out: opportunities include sales coordinators and customer service specialists; educational backgrounds include all degrees.
Field and sales
Unum sales consultants build long-term relationships with brokers and other industry professionals. They work with those intermediaries to develop employee benefit solutions for the broker's client companies. Hear more from our sales consultants
on why they chose Unum.
- Experienced professionals: as a sales consultant, compensation stresses pay for performance with no ceiling on earnings; initial salaried training program provided.
- Just starting out: sales consultant trainees are salaried and complete 6-9 months of training; educational backgrounds include all disciplines.
HR professionals manage the productive use of people to achieve a company's goals while meeting the individual needs of the employee. Positions are primarily in home office locations.
- Experienced professionals: opportunities throughout HR disciplines, including benefits, compensation, employee relations, business consultants, learning and development, and recruitment.
IT professionals provide technical support, including application development, software maintenance and planning, in partnership with all business functions within Unum. Our IT department, known as Global Business Technology, is divided into two areas: 1) business applications; and 2) operations and marketing technologies. Get more details
about IT careers at Unum.
- Experienced professionals: opportunities available as programmers, systems analysts, technical leads and architects, as well as management positions; strong emphasis placed on internal and external training.
- Just starting out: recent graduates work side-by-side with developers and consultants on cutting-edge technology and structured methodology.
Legal and regulatory affairs
Unum's legal and regulatory affairs responsibilities are divided into several specialized teams closely aligned with business partners throughout the company. A strong commitment to professional development and ethics is a must.
- Experienced professionals: roles include attorneys and paralegals, with defined career paths for advancement.
Marketing and product development
Employees in marketing and product roles are responsible for product development and implementations, market research and strategy, market analysis and marketing communications.
- Experienced professionals: marketing consultants and insurance professionals with MBA and business consulting experience preferred; opportunity for advancement to management throughout the company.
Underwriters evaluate applications for insurance policies. They assess the probability of having to pay a claim on coverage to a specific individual or employer. Deciding which policies to underwrite, and how they are priced, affects the financial well-being of the company.
- Experienced professionals: assess risk to insure employee groups; determine pricing and renewal goals; extensive training and career path provided.
- Just starting out: career path supports employees through an extensive training period followed by increasing responsibility; educational backgrounds include finance, economics, and math degrees.