Unum is committed to conducting business in a manner that supports the well-being and safety of its employees, customers and the environment. By including environmental considerations in purchasing decisions, Unum can promote practices that improve public and employee health, conserve natural resources, and reward environmentally conscious manufacturers, while remaining fiscally responsible. This policy is applicable to Unum's U.S. operated properties only.
1.0 Statement of policy
It is the policy of Unum to:
- purchase products that minimize waste, environmental impacts, pollution, and community hazards to the greatest extent possible, but without reducing safety, quality or effectiveness.
- re-use / remanufacture existing products when possible.
- purchase products, when feasible and that make business sense, which include recycled content, are durable and long-lasting, conserve energy and water, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- work with suppliers to recycle materials such as paper, batteries, construction debris, light bulbs, printer cartridges, cell phones, equipment.
- minimize unnecessary travel by using webcasts, and video and audio conferences.
- conserve natural resources.
- minimize environmental impacts such as pollution and use of water and energy.
- eliminate or reduce use of materials that create hazards to workers and our community.
- support strong recycling markets.
- reduce contributions to landfills.
- all buyers shall consider short-term and long-term costs in comparing product alternatives, when feasible. This includes evaluation of total costs expected during the time a product is owned, including, but not limited to, acquisition, extended warranties, operation, supplies, maintenance, disposal costs and expected lifetime compared to other alternatives.
- where feasible, use chlorine-free recycled paper and/or paper that is composed of at least 30 percent post-consumer content. Prevent waste by printing/photocopying on both sides of paper.
- vendors are encouraged to use the minimum packaging necessary for product protection, to use packaging that is reusable, recyclable or compostable, and to take back and reuse pallets and packaging materials when possible.
4.0 Energy and water savings
- where applicable, energy-efficient equipment shall be purchased with the most up-to-date energy efficiency functions. This includes, but is not limited to, high efficiency space heating systems and high efficiency space cooling equipment. When practical, Unum shall replace inefficient lighting with energy-efficient equipment.
- all products purchased by Unum and for which the U. S. EPA Energy Star certification is available shall meet Energy Star certification, when practical. When Energy Star labels are not available, we will choose energy-efficient products that are in the upper 25 percent of energy efficiency as designated by the Federal Energy Management Program.
- Unum shall purchase water-saving products whenever practical.
5.0 Green building — construction and renovations
- all purchases and vendor selections related to facility related construction, improvements and renovations shall follow Unum's adopted green practices, where possible and economically feasible, for new construction, renovations and commercial interiors.
- when purchasing furniture, equipment and supplies related to construction, renovations and commercial interiors, selection shall follow Unum's adopted green practices, where feasible. A review of the life cycle of the product shall be performed to consider the environmental impact of the alternatives.
- the health and safety of workers and citizens is of utmost importance and takes precedence over all other policies.
- nothing contained in this policy shall be construed as requiring a department, purchaser or contractor to use products that do not perform adequately for their intended use, exclude adequate competition, or are not available at a reasonable price in a reasonable period of time.
- nothing contained in this policy shall be construed as requiring the purchaser or contractor to take any action that conflicts with local, state or federal requirements.
- the AVP of Finance Systems & Shared Services and Director of Procurement shall implement this policy in coordination with other appropriate personnel.
- vendors, and contractors shall be encouraged to comply with applicable sections of this policy for products and services provided to Unum.
- when applicable, individual areas may impose more stringent purchasing requirements on vendors and contractors.